Saturday, November 23, 2019

Every Family Has One

When I heard a family member was expecting, I knew exactly what quilt I wanted to make and give them. It is called "Penguin Party" by Elizabeth Hartman. The pattern calls for  pastels, but I'm not a pastel person, so I thought I'd make it bright colors, more representing the personality of my family members. Colors I chose were family members school colors and favorite colors, each with a little different texture, but overall having a solid feel.

I decided to make one penguin a little different, representing that one person that every family has. It could represent the cousin that shows up at grandma's house on Thanksgiving and announces, "I'm a vegetarian." Or it could represent the in-law that showed up to a formal wedding wearing blue jeans. (One family member was overheard heard saying, "At least he wore long pants.") You know the one I'm talking about-every family has one, or maybe two. It could be the aunt, who after a "few" adult beverages decides she has to (and I use the term loosely,) "sing" every song in the karaoke play list at the family Christmas get together.

After finishing the quilt, my DH pointed out to me that we do not know the spouse very well. Would they be offended? Would they understand what I was going for? Oh well, probably not. I decided to put the quilt in the closet and if a family member or friend decides they want it, all they have to do is ask and I will give it to them.

Every family has one-you know that crazy aunt that quilts and believes everyone loves quilts as much as she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment