Saturday, June 26, 2010

New Addition to the Family

If it is Friday, then Thelma and Louise are on another road trip. So, yesterday, piecrust and doodlebug were in pursuit of a featherweight. I wanted one which was pre-war and I found a 1937 gem of a machine. Her name is Myrtie and if you know anything about my family, you know where the name comes from. Gertrude nor Hazel fit and I sure wasn't going to use ThelmaLou. Thanks to Jerry and Karen for hunting these little jewels down and giving them a new life.

After we acquired Myrtie, we headed to Powder Springs in search of a new quilt shop. We found KQ, but had a difficult time finding the entrance. If you go in search of the place, turn into the Waffle House parking lot and follow the road around to get into the strip mall. It's weird, but it works.

Wouldn't you know it, I found several pieces of fabric that just had to go home with me.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Broken Star Block

My home quilt guild, Chattahoochee Evening Stars, is having a star block challenge. Tonight I finished one of my submissions. I do not know the correct name for the block so I am calling it Broken Star. This block isn't the easiest to make, but it did present some issues. When I make flying geese, the easiest methods make 4 geese just alike. As you can see, I have 2 of each color. Normally, this would not be a problem, but I was using a scrap piece of fabric and would not have enough if I did that. So, I made them the old fashioned way, one piece at a time. What a pain having to deal with the bias. My next block will be a little more conventional.

If any of the CES members are checking my blog site, don't look at this.

BTW-Happy Birthday E.J.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Thelma & Louise on a Road Trip

OK, we're not Thelma & Louise. How about piecrust and doodlebug on a road trip. Friday before last, we loaded the hotrod Lincoln and went south in search of a quilt shop, AST. I had never been there, but doodlebug had so I drove, she navigated. Good thing I was on a mission, otherwise I could have bought way
to-o-o much fabric.
My mission was to find sashing, cornerstone, and border fabric along with cream filler and the picture shows what I decided on. Forgot to get an inner border, but I think I can find a vivid pink a little closer to home.
This current project is assembling blocks from a recent block swap. With a block swap, you’re going to receive a large variety of colors and prints with no idea of where it will lead you. After assembly, I will post a picture.
BTW-Thread Spool Count (TSC) 202-1=201

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Busting the Stash

If I tried to measure all the fabric I had in the stash, it would take me well over a year to do so. It would be a waste of quilting time. So ,rather than measure the fabric, I am going to measure my stash busting by counting spools of thread. I'll give you the number in a minute, but I need to put in a few conditions. First, this does not include the large spools I use on the serger and second, this does not include all the cones of embrodery thread, metallics, invisible or glow in the dark stuff. It does include the large Gutterman, Aurifil and Coats spools. Ready, (drum roll please.......) the number is 202.